A retrospective study drew from a sample size of 1128 participants who participated in the Vida Health Diabetes Management Program. Participants provided baseline as well as follow-up A1C values and self-reported PHQ-8 and GAD-7 scores. They achieved the following outcomes:
Physical health outcomes:
- ▼ 1.94 point A1C reduction at 6 months (for those with baseline HbA1c of ≥ 9)
- ▼ 1.98 point A1C sustained reduction at 1 year (for those with baseline HbA1c of ≥ 9)
- ▼ 1.3 point A1C reduction at 6 months (for those with baseline HbA1c of ≥ 8)
- ▼ 1.4 point A1C sustained reduction at 1 year (for those with baseline HbA1c of ≥ 8)
Mental health outcomes:
- 61% of participants, experienced a downward shift in depression acuity
- 55% of participants, experienced a downward shift in anxiety acuity
Members who had a reduction in depressive symptoms achieved A1C reductions 1.9x greater than those who did not.
Professional Spanish translators, linguists, and providers localized the entirety of the Vida Health Diabetes Management Program into a culturally relevant Spanish-language version. Over 180 Spanish-speaking adults participated in the adapted program. In four months, they achieved the following average outcomes:
- 1.2 pt A1C reduction
- 1.6 pt A1C reduction among participants with high program engagement
Participants from a polychronic population (living with either type 2 diabetes, CVD, or obesity) joined a 12-week therapist-supported, app-based cognitive behavioral therapy program. They achieved the following average outcomes:
Mental health outcomes in 12 weeks:
- 74.5% of participants experienced a clinically significant reduction in depressive symptom severity
- 57.7% of participants experienced a clinically significant improvement in anxiety scores
Physical health outcomes in 9 months:
- 3x greater average percentage weight loss (4.5% with CBT-based program versus 1.5% without CBT-based program)
- Greater engagement was associated with improvement in depressive symptoms.
Participants with moderate to high stress levels enrolled in a 10-week Vida Health mindfulness-based stress reduction program.
- 83% of participants experienced a reduction in perceived stress levels as measured by PSS-10 scores
- ▼ 15% (3.17 points) by 1.5 months
- ▼ 33% (6.77 points) by 6 months
We are excited to announce that the latest study of our virtual diabetes program has shown improvements in members’ blood glucose management. In 4 months, participants across the risk spectrum significantly lowered their HbA1c levels:
- ▼ 1.0-point (for those with baseline HbA1c of ≥7)
- ▼ 1.7-points (for those with baseline HbA1c of ≥ 8)
Women with curative-intent breast cancer received a survivorship care plan and enrolled in a 6-month program with Vida’s live coaching app. A control group received the same information but, instead of access to the app, were given a
self-guided toolkit. Of Vida users:
- 61% lost weight, compared with 36% in the control group
- 62% saw a reduction in fatigue symptoms
(compared with 49% in the control group)
- 81% were able to better adhere to a plant-based diet, compared to 51% in the control group
- 18% saw an improvement in their levels of strenuous activity
Participants in a 12-week therapist-supported, app-based cognitive behavioral therapy program achieved the following average outcomes:
- Depression score reductions as measured by PHQ-8:
▼ 43% in 6 months
▼ 54% in 9 months
- Anxiety score reductions as measured by GAD-7:
▼ 51% in 6 months
▼ 61% in 9 months
- Greater engagement led to greater reduction in depression and anxiety scores.
Participants enrolled in a 6 month intensive weight management coaching program, followed by a maintenance phase with one-on-one health coaching sessions. At 12 months, the study showed a weight loss of:
- ▼ 7.2% in overweight patients
- ▼ 7.6% in obese patients
- ▼ 10.4% in patients aged 60+
Vida’s virtual weight management program exceeds CDC benchmarks of 5% weight loss for in-person weight loss programs by 44% and 52% for overweight and obese patients, *respectively.
Participants underwent a 12-week digital coaching program following completion of cardiac rehabilitation. Normally, the benefits of cardiac rehabilitation are difficult to retain but Vida members showed superior long term outcomes:
- Vida Members avoided a 39% decline in moderate-low levels of activity, and a 33% decline in moderate-high levels of activity
- Vida members maintained 159 minutes of moderate-high levels of physical activity per week (the American Heart Association recommends 150 minutes per week)
Patients who were hospitalized for an acute myocardial infarction participated in a month-long one-on-one coaching program to help with medication adherence and lifestyle modification. Members showed greater confidence and competence in their post-hospitalization care:
- Patient engagement as measured by Patient Activation Measure (PAM-6) scores were significantly higher after Vida Coaching (mean improvement of 16.57 points)
- Net promoter scores of 53 following the app experience
Overweight patients received 4 months of intensive health coaching via video, phone, and text-messaging. mHealth users showed superior progress in reducing their cardiovascular risk factors:
- ▼ 3.2% of total body weight loss among mHealth users at 4 months of coaching
- 1.8% weight gain without Vida coaching
- 4.3% difference in body weight change between Vida clients and matched-pair control group
- >75% of participants improved their severity of hypertension by at least one disease stage
Ongoing research plans
At Vida Health, we’re continually working to improve our services and test our methods with rigorous clinical research. We take pride in creating clinically proven programs that improve the health of our members. We’re working with academic medical centers to further study the impact of our interventions.
As we expand our services, we are further analyzing our programs’ impact on diabetes, weight, hypertension, and mental health, as well as the compounding effect of treating mental and physical health together in one platform.
For our enterprise customers, we’re studying how we can further reduce costs of care while providing exceptional support for employees. Be sure to check this page regularly for our latest updates.